||MUSIC Forum at canaaninstitute.org :: cinst.org
Forum and Bulletin Board for Mikes Music - Ithaca NY - This is where I stash volumes of music related news
Joined: 06 Apr 2006
Location: Canaan Jam Host
|Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:50 am Post subject: Sultans of String – Canadian String Wizards on debut US tour
|Sultans of String – Canadian String Wizards on debut US tour!
Fri Nov 4, 8pm – Nelson Odeon 4035 Nelson Rd., Cazenovia
Sat Nov 5, 8pm – Oswego Music Hall 41 Lake St., Oswego
[full tour schedule below]
TIX/INFO: Nelson Odeon 315-655-9193 www.nelsonodeon.com $20
Oswego Music Hall 315-342-1733 www.oswegomusichall.org $14/$7 (12 years & under)
Free (5 and under)
[Nelson/Oswego NY] Serving up a spicy stew of Gypsy Jazz, Spanish Flamenco, Global Roots, and Cuban rhythms, raucous roots string wizards and JUNO (Canada’s Grammy) nominees, Sultans of String, make a stop at The Nelson Odeon (Nov 4) and Oswego Music Hall (Nov 5) on their debut US Tour!
Seamlessly traversing diverse themes of heart, place and tradition, fiery violin dances with kinetic guitar while a funk bass lays down unstoppable grooves. Throughout, acoustic strings meet electronic wizardry to create layers and depth of sound.
Since their formation only 4 years ago, Sultans of String have been riding a wave of success, from their debut CD, "Luna", and 2nd offering, "Yalla Yalla", both hitting # 1 on world/international music charts in Canada, to their triple Canadian Folk Music Award nomination, winning Instrumental Group of the Year.
In the past year alone, they've acquired a JUNO nomination, representation from acclaimed promoter David Wilkes (Emmylou Harris, Bela Fleck, Jesse Cook), and booking representation in the US, UK and Australia. They also garnered a 2010 CMW Indies nomination, took home 1st place in the International Songwriting Competition (out of 15,000 entries) and placed as finalists for two 2011 International Independent Music Awards. To boot, they just released their new CD, MOVE, which they’ll be showcasing on the tour... exciting times for the band!
“Canada’s ambassadors of musical diversity” include 6-string violinist Chris McKhool (Pavlo), guitar czar Kevin Laliberté (Jesse Cook, guested on tour with The Chieftains), bass master Drew Birston (Chantal Kreviazuk), and the jaw dropping talent of Cuban percussionist Chendy Leon (Alex Cuba, Parachute Club)!
“North America is a real meeting places of styles and musical influences from around the world” says bandleader/ fiddler McKhool. “At the same time, as a band we try to tell uniquely North American stories, putting forth our vision of the world as one family.”
Sultans of String - Yalla Yalla
• 2011 International Acoustic Music Awards Finalist – Instrumental
• 2011 Independent Music Award Finalist – Instrumental Album
• 2011 Independent Music Award Finalist – World Beat Album
• 2011 ISC International Songwriting Competition Finalist - Instrumental
• 2011 ISC International Songwriting Competition Finalist - World Music
• 2010 JUNO Nominees - "Instrumental Album of the Year"
• 2010 International Songwriting Contest 1st Place Winners - Instrumental
• 2010 Indie Awards Nominees - Favorite World Artist/Group
• 2009 Canadian Folk Music Award winner - Instrumental Group of the Year
• 2009 Canadian Folk Music Award nominees - Ensemble of the Year
• 2009 Canadian Folk Music Award nominees - Pushing The Boundaries
• 2009 Toronto Exclusive Magazine Award Winner- Best Toronto World CD
• 2009 Toronto Exclusive Magazine Award Winner- Artist of the Year
• 2008 International Songwriting Competition winner - Instrumental
• 2008 Festivals and Events Ontario- Best Variety Act
• 2008 International Independent Music Awards Finalists - Best World Fusion Song
• 2008 Canadian Independent Music Awards Finalists- Favorite World Music Band
• 2007 Musique du Monde Award
• 2007 Canadian Folk Music Award nominees (Instrumental Group of the Year)
• 2007 Ontario Independent Music Award winner- Best Song
• 2007 Ontario Independent Music Award winner- Best Instrumental
• 2007 Toronto Exclusive Magazine Award Winner- Best Latin Jazz Group
• 2007 Toronto Independent Music Award nominees - World Music Category
Nov 3 - Scullers Jazz Club, Boston, MA
Nov 4 - Nelson Odeon, Cazenovia NY
Nov 5 - Oswego Music Hall, Oswego, NY
Nov 6 - Caffe Lena, Saratoga Springs, NY
Nov 7 - SiriusXM Live Performance, Washington DC
Nov 8 - The Living Room, New York, NY
Nov 9 - Turning Point, Piermont, NY
Nov 10 - Birdland Jazz Club, New York, NY
Nov 11 - Tillotson Center, Colebrook NH
Nov 12 - Unity Center for the Performing Arts, Unity, NY
Nov 13 - Skye Theater, Carthage, ME
Jan 6 - "Gene Shay Presents Sultans of String” at Psalm Salon, Philadelphia, PA
Jan 7-8 - Association of Performing Arts Presenters Conference Showcase, New York, NY
This tour is made possible in part by a grant from the Ontario Art Council’s National & International Touring program.
Michael Ludgate - forum administrator
The Canaan Institute http://www.canaaninstitute.org/
||All times are GMT - 4 Hours
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group